Thursday, January 21, 2010

From my inbox...

The following is a true story.

A loving and caring aunt gave her niece a copy of I SO DON'T DO SPOOKY for Christmas.

The niece sent the email below to the aunt (who forwarded it to me):

Aunt M,

Thank you SO much for I So Don't Do Spooky. I am enjoying it SO much.
I try not to read it too fast so that I don't get to the end too quickly.
Thanks again!


The happy niece. And look how neat and tidy her room is!


"I try not to read it too fast so that I don't get to the end too quickly."
This is the kind of sentence that stops an author's heart.

Thank you for the forward, Aunt M.

I will be basically incommunicado this weekend. Yes, dear children, this counts for you too. I'm going to a writers' retreat through my local SCBWI. We're spending the weekend at the San Luis Rey Mission in Oceanside, CA. I will be writing up a storm. And eating meals prepared by monks. Yes, you read that right. I hope we're not talking unleavened bread and water. I'll post about the experience on Monday.

20 comments:

  1. You can't get a greater compliment then that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's fantastic, and so cute. :) Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fan!! Have fun at the retreat, Barrie. I think my mom has gone on retreats there and that in addition to bread and water you get really delicious monastery-made honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's terrific fan mail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's amazing!

    Enjoy your bread and water! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you've gotta love that sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait till I'm the one receiving the letters from readers.

    It must be such a rewarding job.

    Anyway, have fun at the writers' retreat! That sounds like such fun. I wish there were more resources out there for students, not adults. I want to go to a writer's conference, but I'm afraid I'd be the only minor there. And that would be very weird.

    Oh well, good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous comment! And have a wonderful time at the retreat. That sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's fantastic! What a sweet note, and so nice of Aunt M. to pass it along. I do that too - read slowly so I don't have to say good-bye to characters I love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what nice feedback from that fan. I just read your bio you sound so sweet. I

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was so nice Barrie, and good luck with your trip. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your niece's comment is one of those little nuggets you've got to keep handy so you can pull it out whenever you are feeling discouraged or just need a little extra motivation.

    Can't wait to hear about the monks and the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet!

    And I hope you enjoyed your retreat (and the cooking).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Barrie,

    Have you seen the very nice review on "I So Don't Do Spooky" in the Sunday North County Times? You've got lots more fans!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, good books should read slowly to enjoy it.

    Good child always like reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How sweet! So, how was the writing retreat? No Monday post - I'm worried you've become a monk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I know exactly how that niece feels...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do the same thing with books and desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet of you to post this!

    Omar and I spent a weekend at the mission before our wedding. It was a requirement from the church. We couldn't share a room with each other of course. When I saw the picture of the garden the memories came back.

    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!