Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Toastmasters


Today I went to my very first Toastmasters' meeting.

I think I'm going to be a star.

I base this on the fact that I was a very quick study. In the space of one lunch hour, I learned many toastmasterly things:

1. Turn off your cell phone. Preferably before it rings in the middle of someone's speech.

2. If you go as a guest, you don't have to speak.

3. "Table talk" does not refer to giving hints to your partner during a card game. It actually means an on-the-spot, impromtu speech about a topic of someone else's choice. Yikes.

4. There is a very cool job where you get to hold a clicker and then click loudly each time a speaker uses a filler word like "um" or "so." Everyone gets a turn at the clicker job. Everyone. You might even be able to request it.

5. Toastmasters are very friendly. And chatty too.

6. I'm going back for more next week.

4 comments:

  1. I've always been curious about Toastmasters--but now I don't have to go-- I'll just read your blog instead!
    Though I wouldn't mind operating one of those "clickers" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyson! I must say I am looking forward to wielding the clicker! And don't be surprised if I show up at one of your signings one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Line me up for a go at the clicker too, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara! Interesting how we're all keen to use the clicker. And I did see a certain gleam in the eye of the person who got to click away at the meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!