Monday, August 11, 2008

My Town Monday: Taste of the Danforth




In Toronto now! This weekend we attended the Taste of the Danforth.

From torontostar.com:

The Taste of the Danforth festival celebrates the multicultural diversity of Toronto. From mouth-watering Greek cuisine like souvlaki and spanakopita (spinach pie) to Thai, Indian and Cuban fare, this street festival in the heart of Toronto's Greektown satisfies hungry mouths summer after summer.

The Taste of the Danforth has been around since the 90s. It's the third largest Greek food festival outside of Greece (2nd is Melbourne, Australia!) A portion of the proceeds goes to charity. There's music and people and LOTS of food to sample (Greek, Japanese, Thai, and more).


I meandered along the Danforth (a huge section of the street is closed off to traffic) with Child #3 and Child #4 and a niece and a nephew. Child #4 sampled Thai, Japanese and Greek. Niece and Nephew were similarly adventurous. I found some of my beloved sushi. Child #3 had....a slice of cheese pizza!


Here is my intrepid sister and brother-in-law, cooking up homemade shortcake. This is the first year they participated in the Taste of the Danforth. And they sold completely out (100 delicious servings) despite the overcast, rainy weather! You can only imagine what a going concern they'll be next year!

Head on over to Travis Erwin's My Town Monday post. It's the TWENTY-FIFTH MTM post! He's got links to all the participants. Go Travis!

15 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! WHY did you post pictures of the food when I'm so hungry? And I LOVE all that stuff.

    And homemade shortcake?? Oh my. Do they ship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time in Toronto. It's a great city. Hope the weather improves, though cool and rainy sounds good to me here in SoCal.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I want to go! It's only, um, four hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love food festivals. Good for the kids for trying something new. Who knew that Canada was as diverse as the US. Boy am I uneducated. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is time for a second lunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tasting festivals are always so much fun. amazingly diverse food in North American

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a might fancy for my taste but I'm sure it was all tasty for the more daring eater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. I adore Greek food. And shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're having a great trip. Barrie. Your #3 child sounds somewhat like my #2---although she has expanded her palate to include hummus and felafel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. living in 'trawna', years ago, i used to frequent may 'ethnic' spots... always glad to sample new foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Danforth is a great place to try different cultural foods.

    Sushi? I'm acquiring a taste for it now...because it's a healthy alternative. Travis, are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay. mental note: don't read posts about food when hungry. it's only 9am here and those pictures have me salivating! :)

    have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! One of these days, I need to actually attend a street food festival instead of just oohing and aahing over everyone else's take. Glad you are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!