Thursday, September 4, 2008

How the World is One Big Shrinky Dink

You may or may not know that I was recently in Toronto. Of course, you know! I was there for FOUR WHOLE WEEKS and blasted you with blogs and My Town Mondays from there.

Anyway, while in Toronto, I visited The Flying Dragon Bookshop, located on Bayview near Eglinton. I realize that tossing off the street names means little to most of you reading this blog. BUT, as someone who is SEVERELY directionally challenged, I'm thrilled that I can actually remember this detail!


The Flying Dragon is this really amazing independent bookstore with a great kids' section. And, well, a great adult section too. And, well a great...Actually, it's an all round great bookstore. Besides the wonderful selection of books, here's an interesting tidbit: The Flying Dragon puts together themed book baskets. A COMPLETELY RANDOM example: if you wanted a mystery book basket, they might include a copy of I So Don't Do Mysteries. Ha! Anyway, themed book baskets. What a novel (pun intended!) idea!

Back to the story. I stop in at The Flying Dragon Bookshop to meet Cathy Francis, the proprietor, and to drop off an ARC (Advance Reader Copy) and some bookmarks.

Cathy and me, sitting in the brand new Author's Chair! (Why don't I ever remember to push up my glasses?!)

So, I'm chatting with Cathy (who is very friendly and fun and knowledgeable). We're talking about blogging and online stuff and I pull out the Class of 2k8's very cute brochure. The convo goes more or less like this.

"Oh, I know about the Class of 2k8," Cathy says.

"Wow. That's great," I say. "How?"

"One of my Saturday employees is a blogger and she told all of us here about you guys."

"Which blogger?"

"Shelf Elf."

Oh my gosh!!! So, Shelf Elf, a terrific kidlit blogger, works Saturdays at The Flying Dragon Bookshop!

I squeal (professionally, of course!), then race back to my car to grab an ARC for Shelf Elf.

And guess what? Shelf Elf read the ARC right away. And posted a lovely lovely review.

You can read the review here.

To recap: I wander into a bookstore in Toronto, learn that a kidlit blogger works there on the weekends, leave said blogger a surprise ARC and, voila, a book review!

That, my dear blogging friends, is why I say the world is one big shrinky dink. Who knows when or where or how we'll meet up with each other.

23 comments:

  1. I love this story!
    -Nancy V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review--yay for you! The Internet makes the world so much smaller.

    BTW, I'm thinking that you need to make some kind of audio download (my low-tech description) of a professional squeal. Then we can all have it as our ringtone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrinky dinks and professional squeals ... Barrie your words ooze with delight. I'm reading your book (ARC)this weekend - BEFORE I read the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea you had...and how it paid off! It's part of the reason I blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. must be a relatively new store, but then, it's been years since i lived in the area... uh, too many to recall :O lol

    grats on meeting her, and love the post....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE that story! So cool! :-)

    Sounds like a fantastic bookstore, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. coolest bookstore name EVER

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barrie, what cool serendipity. Congrats on the good review. I guess blogging really does make the world smaller. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fabulous and fun! And "Fabulous Flying Dragon Bookshop" is an awesome name for a bookstore. I'd SO go there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bayview and Eglinton is a mere few blocks from where I live.
    And The Flying Dragon is a fabulous place. I do hope it continues to thrive despite the big bookstore chains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's cause you ROCK!!!!

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when things like that happen. So exciting for you both.

    December 9, just in time for Christmas. I'll have to get a copy for my Winnie -- it sounds right up her alley. Plus she will be so excited about an internet found book just for her -- she loves it when I read books of authors I've found through blogland -- "Is that one of your blogger buddy books?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love a themed book basket. What a great idea -- I hope more book stores will do them. My daughter reads Cam Jansen books but she's looking for something more in depth. She's nine but pretty advanced in reading. Do you think your book would be a match?

    Kristen at www.thefamilythatreadstogether.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that is amazing! Small world for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog via Spyscribbler...I'm sure to be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent review, Barrie. I'll be buying a book when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous looking bookshop, Barrie, and what an amazing coincidence! I love that term shrinky dink. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story, and inspirational for shy people like me who have a hard time speaking to strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful! congrats! i love independent bookstores. so much more cozy and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great story, and a brilliant review! I’m so looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!