Thursday, September 18, 2008

Encyclo-Media or Adrenalin Rush in Oklahoma City

In the last two days, I've met FIVE of my classmates from the Class of 2k8! Life is very excellent.

WEDNESDAY: Oklahoma roadtrip with PJ Hoover, debut middle grade author of The Emerald Tablet. Also along for the ride is Child #4 (who's escaping from a house with a throwing-up cousin to hang out with authors and an author's kids). What can I tell you about PJ? High energy. Helpful. Entertaining. The type of girlfriend you def invite to your slumber party because she'll keep it all lively.

We stay with Stacy Nyikos, hostess extraordinaire and debut middle grade author of Dragon Wishes. She is ultra generous. With her exquisite guac. And her strawberry margaritas that defy description. And her oodles of info on school visits and public speaking. And her incredible organizational skills. Thank you, Stacy.

Jenny Meyerhoff, debut middle grade author of Third Grade Baby, flies in to chill with us. Jenny is sincere and thoughtful. She makes you think. I'm guessing if you have Jenny as a friend, you have a friend for life. Plus, she has stupendous black leather boots.

Jenny, PJ, Stacy with strawberry margaritas

THURSDAY: Jenny, PJ, Stacy and yours truly do a panel at Encyclo-Media, the annual librarian-educator event in Oklahoma City.

Are you sitting down? Take a look at the next photo.


THERE WERE ONE HUNDRED FIFTY (150!!!) PEOPLE AT OUR PANEL! That is THREE HUNDRED eyeballs.

Luckily, this was an extremely nice and welcoming mob who loved all four of us. I bet they ask us back next year.

I couldn't help but notice this crowd had a sophisticated sense of humor. They laughed at all my jokes.

AND seemed genuinely interested in meeting Sherry come December 9th.

Does my heart look like it's hammering a million beats a minute like I'm on the elliptical at the gym?


Then....that evening...

I met up with the amazingly creative Brooke Taylor, author of Undone, and another member from the Class of 2k8.

There are many many things I liked about Brooke. She's witty, fun, smart, loves to talk books, drinks diet coke AND she's way shorter than me. It's not often I tower over someone, and I enjoyed the experience. Yes, yes, I insisted we stand up for the picture. Just messing with you, Brooke. I LOVED having dinner together.

EVEN THOUGH you requested an interview with KELLY Couric (Katie's trashy twin) and NOT me. So, that's down the pike, folks. An interview with Brooke by Kelly and a giveaway of Undone. It'll be after Kelly reads the book so she can ask pertinent questions. (snort)

Quite the day! (well-deserved yawn)

24 comments:

  1. You didn't look nervous at all and for some reason that amazes me! You looked like you were having a great time, and so did the crowd. Sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun, Barrie! And great meeting you, too!
    Thanks so much for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great tie and an eager audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 300 eyeballs is a lot!

    I'm soooo glad we got to meet up for dinner--even if you wouldn't get in the saddle and let the wait staff give you a big Yee-haw.

    Oh--and I'm really not shorter than you--it's just something I do to make people feel more comfortable and confident around me. If I used my real height, plus all the other wonderful things about me, I'd be way too intimidating. So I just go around being shorter.

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barrie, sounds like so much fun! And I would totally think PJ would be as you described her.

    You guys should do a road trip to an NJ SCBWI event next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, man! I'm so envious you all got to hang out. Looks like a good time. I
    <3 Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great turnout! congrats! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 150 folks? Wow, I've never been in a panel that big. Sounds like a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool to meet all these people in your group. Why is it all kids writers just look so NICE? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post - and I agree about Stacy. She's totally organized and generous. Great combo. Glad to hear it all clicked and you got to see each other and strengthen the 2k8 bonds. Sounds like lots of good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved meeting you and your daughter, Barrie! You are a total natural at panel speaking. I'd share another one with you any day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eyeballs indeed! Plus you don't mention the same amount of matching ears.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like everybody was having a great time. And you looked calm, cool, and collected. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You looked perfectly at ease! You're a writer AND an actress. lol.

    I don't know how you find the time and energy to do all you do but what an exciting and rich time you seem to be having.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! 300 eyeballs and all happy to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Barrie, you're having quite a year, with lots of traveling. How exciting to speak to that many people. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOOH, Barrie! I wish I could have been there! Strawberry margaritas, guac. and all you cool-io
    2k8 sisters!? Looks (and sounds) like a blast. Hmmm...maybe next year.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! Thanks for sharing the fun! And *of course* everyone is excited to meet Sherry - she's adorable and uber-cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds so fun! Plus you got to meet P.J.!

    Congrats on a great talk and getting the audience to laugh. That is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun pictures. You'd tower over me, too I'm guessing. I'm only 5'1.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun! And you were a hit! Fantastic. :-)

    Congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That sounds like a fantastic time. And, no, you didn't look nervous at all. In fact, you looked very poised and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!