Monday, March 30, 2009

My Town Monday: Deep-Sea Fishing in San Diego

calico bass dorado yellowtail tuna



Fair warning: This may be my SHORTEST My Town Monday post ever! Because I'm writing I So Don't Do Makeup like a wacked-out crazy woman.

BUT....I love My Town Mondays. And I couldn't bear to miss a week. So, I figured a short post was better than no post.

AND this particular post is sure to appeal to Travis Erwin, Our Fearless Fishing Leader, because it's about DEEP-SEA FISHING!

SO, without further ado....There are several companies in San Diego who will happily take you out to sea for a fishing adventure. You can go for 1/2 day trip to a few weeks. The term for a trip longer than a day is "long range." You can go if you're a beginner. You can go if you're experienced. In general, the fishing companies provide the tackle (rod, sinkers, other fishing paraphernalia). When you're checking price, check if the fee includes a Mexican fishing permit (and if you're going far enough south to need one). A little trivia: by law, fish cannot be filleted in Mexican waters.

These are the kinds of fish you'll catch from 3-10 miles offshore: calico bass, sand bass, white sea bass, barracuda, mackerel and dorado.

And from 60 to 80 miles out, you'll catch albacore, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, big eye tuna, skipjack and yellowtail.

The deeper you go, the bigger the fish. In 1997, someone caught a 388-pound yellowfin tuna! To put this in perspective, a yellowfin generally weighs 15-30 pounds.

And here's a little tip. Always, always, always, pay the $2.00 to enter the jackpot. If you happen to catch the largest fish of the day, you get to take home the kitty.



And, btw, I will never ever go deep-sea fishing you. As in, never. Why? Because I don't have sea legs. Even with dramamine.

Please swim on over Travis' blog where he'll have a fun post and links to other participants.





Sources:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/464/deepsea.html
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040715/news_lz1w15fish.html

25 comments:

  1. Now that is what I'm talking about. And you should try Bonine as it works much better than Dramamine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll pass on the information to those I know who love to fish.
    I’m not too fond of seeing (or being touched by) fish in shallow water – never mind deep sea fishing.

    Keep on writing – you “wacked-out crazy woman!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never, ever go fishing either, only because it's so freaking boring I can't stand it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about no sea legs, Barrie. I guess that means you can't go whale watching, either. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandparents used to take me fishing on their boat in the Gulf of Mexico, but we never went out too far. But once, when I was seven or so, I hooked a fish that was so strong it nearly pulled me overboard. My grandpa had to take the rod to help me reel it in, and then the line snapped! Never found out what it was. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to go deep sea fishing for so long. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, fresh fish. That sounds wonderful! And I have "sea legs" I think...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a fisher, but this kind sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cousin in California went deep sea fishing, caught a sailfish and had it displayed in his living room.

    I have sea legs until the water gets rough, then I go green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on land, Barrie. My husband too me to Nova Scotia shortly after we were married (2004-ish!) and he happily took me on a short tour around to Peggy's Cove. I was so ill! Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Barrie, your introductory apology was almost longer than the post! Happy working...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the boat was big, really big, I might be able to do it. I don't do so well on moving untethered vessels. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to figh when I was younger - these days I catch all my fish at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't think i could bring myself to try fishing. i keep envisioning myself reeling in a boot or tire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting post and best of luck on I So Don't Do Makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like sailing or boating, but I'm no fisherwoman. Great post though and not really shore at all.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! Reminds me of childhood, when dad would charter us a boat to go deep sea fishing off Long Island (where we lived.) I was less about the fishing & more about flirting with the 1st mate, even though I wasn't even 10. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm no fan of fishing either, but I'd love to go whale watching some day. I only get seasick if someone is smoking nearby, so I should be OK. Keep writing like a crazy woman, Barrie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. when I was 8 we drove out to El Cajon (sp) to visit my uncle's family. He took us to see the ocean (first and only time). We walked along the pier, I remember the gulls floating and diving overhead and water lapping at the pillars(?) under the pier. I even remember a pelican perched on one of those pillars. We stopped at a fish shack. I had a slice of tuna, and yellow tail shark. The man wrapped it up in wax paper and we continued our walk along the pier, munching on the best fish I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE the water!! When I lived in San Diego we had a 25 foot sailboat. We were on the water every damn weekend.

    LOVED IT....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried this once, in Mexico. And I KNEW that if they just let me go below and lie down, I would be OK. But they insisted that I climb up top by the captain. Because I'm an obedient little girl, I went. And then I booted my red kool-aid and pancake breakfast, spraying backwards in the wind and coating my boyfriend's family.

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't imagine reeling in a 338 lb deep-sea fish. I caught a 5 pounder in New Zealand and it practically broke my arms off! Alas, I am wimpy deep sea fisherwoman :-(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool, Barrie. I'd love to go and so would my husband! Best luck polishing off the ISDDMakeup!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am wondering just what Omar can do about this =D

    Percy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!