Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Book Review Club (August 2009)

My little sister's coming to the August meeting of The Book Review Club!


Look at her! She's so into a book that she doesn't even notice she's surrounded by toys and trash in my backyard. (Actually, we set this shot up.)

BUT, she really did enjoy reading this book while down from Canada with her kids for a holiday with us. Even better, she agreed to write a review for the club.

My sister is delightful. You can spend hours with her and still be sad to see her go. I'm happy you'll have the chance to get to know her, albeit only a little bit, through her review.

As I put together this post, I can see my sister's suitcases lined up to load in the van for the airport. Yes, today marks the end of a wonderful and fun ten days. The time went too fast, and I'm not at all ready to say goodbye. It'll probably be another year before we see each other again. And another year before we watch our kids hanging out together again. So, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's reviews. They'll take my mind off my quieter house.

Take it away, sis...




Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel is a love story set in Israel during the 1970’s.

Amazon.com writes: Israel, 1970s. Lily, a young emigrant student exploring the wonders and terrors of her new land, finds the man of her dreams -- Ami, a former actor. Handsome, intelligent, and exciting, but like his beautiful, disintegrating country, Ami has a terrible flaw -- he is an army interrogator. As Ami and Lily's unexpected passion grows, so too does the shadow that hangs over them. They must face the unspeakable horrors of Ami's work and their uncertain future.
While set in the '70s, Ten Thousand Lovers is a brilliant and terrifyingly contemporary tale of passion, suffering, and the transcending power of love.

Even if you don’t usually enjoy love stories, you might like this one because the characters, particularly Ami, are so engaging. His observations about life in Israel during this dangerous time are insightful and darkly humorous. For example, when Lily wonders why her well-off friends steal food from the army, Ami says:” People like to pick up souvenirs. Especially from places where they’ve had such a good time.” (Pg. 47)

Lily has trouble trusting him because of his job with the army. However, as events in the story unfold, Lily’s feelings for Ami change.

I greatly enjoyed this story. I liked the characters and the descriptions of Israel at that time, but I especially liked the parts when the author described the origins of various Hebrew and Arab words. (The history of the word assassin was a surprise!)

If you go to the author’s website, you will see that she has many things in common with the Lily. Like Lily, she was born on a Kibbutz and later moved to Canada. Later she returned to Israel to study, also like Lily. Finally, the author has a daughter, too.

However, the best news on Edeet Ravel’s website is that Ten Thousand Lovers is the first book in a trilogy. I am looking forward to reading the others.



Below are links to great book reviews from this month's participants. Please click through. You won't be sorry!

YOUNG ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Keri Mikulski: FAIRY TALE by Cyn Balog

Thao of serene hours: AFTER by Amy Efaw

Kaye of the Book Review Forum: BLACK CREEK by Leslie Goetsch

Stacy Nyikos: THE UNINVITED by Tim Wynn-Jones


ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Sarah Laurence: SAG HARBOR by Colson Whitehead (literary fiction)

Patti Abbott: THE DRAMATIST by Ken Bruen

Scott Parker: TRUST ME by Jeff Abbott (thriller)

Alyssa Goodnight: THE FINISHING TOUCHES by Hester Browne (contemporary women's fiction)

Linda McLaughlin: STEALING HEAVEN by Madeline Hunter (medieval romance)

Linda McLaughlin: WARPRIZE by Elizabeth Vaughan (fantasy romance)

Jenn Jilks @ My Refections: FROZEN BENEATH by Brian Horeck (mystery)

Sarahlynn of Yeah, but Houdini didn't have these hips: THE SHACK by William P. Young

Prairie Rose of Prairie Rose's Garden: PLUM SPOOKY by Janet Evanovich (humorous mystery)

Kathy Holmes: RED BLOODED MURDER by Laura Caldwell (mystery series)


Note to reviewers: If I missed linking to you, please leave a comment or email me. I keep pretty good tabs on the blog on review club days. And I do have a niggling feeling that I've forgotten someone this month.

19 comments:

  1. Barrie - thanks for the review. I will have to check out that book. And, also for the listing of other reviews on your site.

    I feel for you in your "empty" house. Our sisters hold so much of ourselves with them and it is probably harder to say goodbye to them more than anyone else.

    ps - I bestowed you an award I hope yo uhaven't received yet. you can check out my blog to get the particulars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barrie, forget the mess, what I’m seeing is a POOL in your backyard. Wow! If I were your sister, I’d never leave. That is so good that you had a fun time together. Thanks for still making the time to host book review.

    Barrie’s Sister, great review! I’m hooked. The story sounds like a Leon Uris novel with the romance, ethical dilemma and wartime Israel. I especially like that the author shares a background with her protagonist. I’ll add this book to my list. Thanks – I hadn’t heard of it and the title might have turned me off.

    All, I’m offline for the next couple days, but I’ll come visit your reviews on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! Your family sounds like a blast - love the pic. Sending hugs.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A love story sounds perfect about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really interesting and, most importantly, different. I like stories that are different. Thanks for pointing it out. It sounds like you had a great visit with your sister and her kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the opportunity to participate!
    Sounds like a good book.Love the photo.

    We are entertaining adult 'kids' and our granddaughter for 2 weeks. It is so much fun.

    I have tons of photos and video of Josephine, our 18 mos. old girl. She loves my computer to see 'babies' on it.

    Hard to get reading time in, so much fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have had a wonderful time with your sister and her family! What fun for the cousins to get together, too.

    I don't usually read romances anymore, but this one does sound interesting. Thanks for the review, Little Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review and even I'm sad your sister is leaving.

    But that niggling must have been for me because I don't see my review linked there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am intrigued. Especially since I'm in the middle of The Little Giant of Aberdeen County per your recommendation and LOVE IT SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a great read and like you had a great time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barrie, thank your sister for the review of Ten Thousand Lovers. It sounds like an interesting book. Glad the two of you had such a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great staged scene at the pool! Made me laugh. The book sounds interesting and I've been looking for a new series. I love continuing stories so that I don't have to say good-bye to the characters too soon.

    I hope you're feeling better after the good-byes with your sister and nieces. Time flies, though, so another year will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book and have read one of her others. This was a five star read and they just don't come any better for me. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I have an ARC of this one but haven't taken the time to read it yet. Must now shuffle it to the top of my TBR pile because it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great read! Tell your sis thanks!

    I'm bummed because it's not at my local library. Will have to check the used bookstore next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you had fun with your sister

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell your sister thanks! It sounds like a great book! I'll have to go find it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
    www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book does sound intriguing! Makes me wonder about the title... Thanks for the review--you have so many great guest reviewers!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!