Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Book Review Club (December 2009)

Come in! Grab a coffee or, better yet, some warm apple cider and a plateful of homemade holiday cookies. Yes, those shortbread are from my kitchen.

Welcome to our last Book Review Club meeting of 2009. Wow! How time flies when you've got good books! We hope you enjoy our book reviews and maybe get a few ideas for holiday gifts!







I LOVE this book! Or, as 14 year-old Georgia Nicholson, the protagonist would say, I LURVE this book! A lot of other people love this book too. The first in a series of ten, it debuted in 1999 to a starred review from Publishers Weekly. And it was a Printz Honor Book.

It is an absolutely, laugh-till-you-cry funny young adult novel! You know what would be really fun? Getting invited to a cocktail party with the author, Louise Rennison, who is actually a British comedy writer.


From the back cover:

Her dad's got the mentality of a Teletubby (only not so developed). Her cat, Angus, is trying to eat the poodle next door. And her bet friend thinks she looks like an alien--just because she accidentally shaved off her eyebrows. Ergghhhlack. Still, add a little boy-stallking, teacher-baiting, and full-frontal snogging with a Sex God, and Georgia's year just might turn out to be the most fabbitty fab fab ever!

Told in diary form, this is the story of Georgia and her BFF, Jasmine, and some other girlfriends and how they navigate school, boys and friendship. It's a YA version of Bridget Jones Diary--only much funnier!

Guess what else? This book was made into a British movie, Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. Which will be released on DVD on this side of the Atlantic on DECEMBER 22. Yes, it's at the TOP of my Netflix queue!

Here's a link to the official movie site and delightful movie trailer.

I've giggled my way through this entire review. :)

Now .... Onto to our brilliant reviewers and their brilliant reviews...


YOUNG ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Keri Mikulski: SWEET TURNAROUND J by PV Beck (young adult)

Thao of Serene Hours: BLOOM by Elizabeth Scott (young adult)

Kaye of the Book Review Forum: THE HUNDRED DRESSES by Eleanor Estes (lower middle grade)

Stacy Nyikos: BULL RIDER by Suzanne Morgan Williams (upper middle grade)

Sarah Laurence: I SO DON'T DO SPOOKY by Barrie Summy
**Seriously, folks, I did not pay Sarah to do this!! Although now I'm thinking I'd pay her to take down the photo of my as a 16 year old!!**

ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Kathy Holmes: MISTLETOE AND MURDER by Florence Case (romance)

Scott Parker: HOLMES FOR THE HOLIDAYS, edited by Martin Greenberg, et. al. (mystery short stories)

Jenn Jilks of My Reflections: A SIGHT FOR SORE EYES by Ruth Rendell (mystery)

Alyssa Goodnight of the Writers' Road Less Traveled: FAST WOMEN by Jennifer Crusie (humorous women's fiction)

Patti Abbott: LANDSCAPE WITH FRAGMENTED FIGURES by Jeff Vande Zande

Linda McLaughlin: THE LOST SYMBOL by Dan Brown


NONFICTION REVIEWS

Ellen Booraem of Freelance Ne'er-do-well: RESTORATION LONDON by Liza Picard (adult)

Sarahlynn of Yeah, but Houdini didn't have these hips: THE SURRENDERED WIFE by Laura Doyle (self help)

Staci of Life in the Thumb: SEW WHAT! 18 PATTERN-FREE PROJECTS YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE TO FIT YOUR NEEDS by Lexie Barnes


**Exceptional previous reviews are only a click away.**




Note to Reviewers: You know the drill.:) If I missed you, leave me a comment and I'll rectify the situation straight away. And award myself one less cookie today!



Bookmark and Share

23 comments:

  1. The Angus book looks fun (got to love that has to be British title) and the movie looks adorable. It made me think of Gregory's Girl.

    As for the photo of you as a teenager, my daughter saw me posting it and said you were so pretty and you haven't changed much.

    Thanks for hosting the book review. I probably won't have time for other comments today, but I'm looking forward to visiting the other reviews when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series!! :) Adorable and hilarious and one of the first YA books I read and fell in love with. :)

    And thanks always for hosting our club, Barrie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot me hehe. Please add my review: http://serenehours.blogspot.com/2009/12/book-review-club-nov-bloom-by-elizabeth.html

    Thank you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo, I love British comedy - this book written by one sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a cute book, Barrie. You forgot to list my review of THE LOST SYMBOL by Dan Brown. http://flightsafancy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thao and Linda--ack! So sorry. You're up and linked now. I don't know where my mind was at! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: Good to see you this morning. I didn't think I'd *bump* into you until later today. and, please tell you daughter thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keri, you're very welcome. :) and, just think, it's not too too long until we actually meet in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, this book is completely up your alley. Completely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my eye on this book/series for some time now. You've pushed me over the edge. Loved that you were giggling while writing the review--that says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barrie, thanks for adding our reviews. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The book sounds like a hoot, and the movie trailer is very enticing for those of us who love the British sense of humor. Thanks for the tip, Barrie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been trying to learn and read more Y since I have taken on a literature club for kids.

    If you haven't checked out the blog for it http://younglit.blogspot.com/ I'd love to hear your comments.

    Also wondering if you would liek to be the featured author for the second semester. Basically we would read and use your book for discussion for a couple of months as we have done with Erica's this semester and then have some sort of conference call where the kids could ask you questions. let me know if you would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for suggesting I join this group, but I really think I haven't the time. My hobby is writing ridiculous melodramas. I have a group of friends who act them and we go round local clubs etc putting them on. It's very time-consuming, but great fun. Not very intellectual though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Books to give, books to receive for Christmas! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're making a movie out of Angus? WOOT!!!! I'm adding that to my list o' things I must purchase. I bet it'll be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES!!! They're making a movie out of this book! (Wild cheering ensues.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog at BlogFrog and very cool. thanks, come and visit me at:

    http://www.thriftymommastips.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally loved Bridget Jones. Must buy this one and read (and then see the movie). So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Barrie at 16? Must visit that website!

    If Snogging is anything like Bridget Jones, I am going to love it. Thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun idea! I like your list of books reviewed and I'm a big fan or Bridget Jones. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
    anyhow thanks for the good read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous, I hope you click through to our other reviews. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!