Monday, December 7, 2009

My Town Monday: San Diego Gingerbread Houses



Sunday morning, I ate breakfast next to this gingerbread house. Mr. Summy and I were at the swanky San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina for Mr. Summy's office holiday party. Remember how I did not want to go? Well, I ended up having a really good time. We even won $150 in Target (my home away from home!) gift cards!!! Then we stayed over. Hence, the breakfast next to the gingerbread house.



In the lobby, there's a display of three gingerbread houses. If you look closely, you will see it's based on the story of the three little pigs! Adorable and creative. I love the angel pasta used to represent straw.

Each year, around the end of November to the beginning of the December, a hotel in our fine city hosts the San Diego Gingerbread City Contest for the Epilepsy Foundation of San Diego County. (That's quite a mouthful! But a good cause, nonetheless.)

In interesting trivia...
-National Gingerbread Day is actually in June.
-The gingerbread man first showed up in the court of Elizabeth I of England when she had gingerbread men baked in the likeness of some of her guests.
-The Crusaders introduced gingerbread to Europe.
-Ginger has been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years, especially as a digestive aid.
-In medieval times, gingerbread was more of a candy.

Totally changing tacks....



i so don't do spooky will be in bookstores TOMORROW!!! As in Tuesday, December 8!!! I am very excited. And a little nervous. It's a bit like leaving your child at school on the first day. Good luck, Sherry! I will be thinking of you. Choose your friends carefully. Be yourself. Have fun.

Please visit The Divining Wand where Larramie has gone to a lot of trouble to write a review/introduction to i so don't do spooky. You'll enjoy it.

And, of course, you'll want to visit our My Town Monday blog to see what the rest of the gang is up to!


sources:
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach/gingerbread-contest-sandiego.html
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/california/gingerbread-house-contests-california.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread_man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread
http://www.godecookery.com/ginger/ginger.htm

Ginger Bread Houses on Foodista

13 comments:

  1. Love the gingerbread houses, Barrie. My kids and I used to get together with a group of folks and make them every year. Fun times and great memories.

    Good luck with the book. I am on my way to Larramie's now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post, Barrie. I so would have been tempted to take a bite of a gingerbread house for dessert. You are to be commended on your restraint.

    Congratulations on your book launch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that gingerbread village! As a child I would have stared into and imagined all sorts of wonderful stories.
    Happy, happy book release! I shall go looking for 'spooky' tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't approve of things to lovely to eat. Only kidding, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on Spooky! Just in time for Christmas. hurray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some gingerbread house!
    Enjoy your big day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, introducing "Spooky" was a labor of love!

    And those Gingerbread houses are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gingerbread houses - the Grand Floridian (modeled after the "Del") - at Disney World always has this amazing life-sized gingerbread house.

    Anyway, "I So Don't Do Spooky" arrives at my house via UPS any day now. Woo hoo! Congrats on the book release - great timing for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. $150 Target Gift Card?! Lucky, lucky! And I love those gingerbread houses!

    And CONGRATULATIONS on I So Don't Do Spooky--I'm excited for you and for the rest of us. I was kind of hoping that Sherry would be at my boys' school bookfair, but she's missing. I'll cross my finger for this spring.
    Have a great Release Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. grats barrie... nicely done, for xmas no less :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are awesome gingerbread houses! And, $150 in Target gift cards?! Heaven! :-) Congrats on the book release tomorrow ... SO exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool gingerbread houses and YAY for Release Day!! How exciting for you and Sherry (have I mentioned what a great name that is for your main character?) :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't have a gingerbread house around here. The one time I bought one, my family woke up distraught to find only a pile of ginger rubble where the house had been.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!