Friday, March 26, 2010

Panic in the Summy Household

Mr. Veiled Chameleon has been living in his own cage for a few months now.

Is it divorce, reptile style?

Not exactly. But it is a definite separation.

Mrs. Veiled Chameleon had become ubermean, biting and hissing at the male whenever he tried to eat. As a result, Mr. Chameleon was thin and nervous.

Anyway, Mr. Chameleon is now munching up a cricket storm and is, apparently, full of vim and vigor and an adventurous spirit.

Here's what we found yesterday afternoon..

A cage door ajar.


A missing chameleon. (Which takes a bit of time to ascertain because of the whole camouflage thing!)


Mr. Chameleon in the back of a dusty toy closet, eyeing (with both eyes!) a sports car. He ventured about 14 feet from his cage.

Upon his return, Mr. Chameleon scarfed down a couple of crickets, sipped water from a leaf and took a nap. This is definitely a story he'll share with his children. (See how he's shedding? A testimony to his healthy eating.)

And two very fun and UNpanicky links:

Vermont College of Fine Arts' Hunger Mountain journal is accepting entries for their annual Katherine Paterson Prize for Writing for Young Adult and Children contest. Click here for details.

My very good friend, Maureen McGowan's, Switching Places, is a finalist in the Golden Heart! Maureen and I met online, only to discover she lives a couple of blocks away from one of my sisters in Toronto! Do I meet up with Maureen when I go back to the homeland for a visit? Uh, yes!! Maureen chatted with me about the premise of Switching Places a couple of years ago over a chicken Caesar salad. Great premise. Great writing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she won.



p.s. I have a My Town Monday post for Monday. Finally, I'm getting back in the swing of things.

18 comments:

  1. I should have a MTM this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew! adventures! Great story and thanks for the links.
    (looks like you had a great time at Virginia Festival!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The open cage door and Mr. Chameleon eying the sports car made me laugh!
    Better keep an eye on him – he wants outta there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sorry for Mr. Chameleon, that close to the sports car and then foiled in his plans for a great escape :) Wonderful post, Barrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chameleon adventures are the best! Great photos, Barrie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I published a lizard today too!

    Aloha from Hawaii my Friend


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long did it take you find him? I would have been horrified to have a chameleon lose in the house, but I am prissy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Tavis! I always lOVE your MTM posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca: I'm not sure exactly how long he was missing because I had to leave Child #2 still on the hunt. But I'm thinking he texted after about 20 minutes. And I looked for about 10 min. So, roughly, half an hour of freedom for the guy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. once he gets that car in gear, he'll be looking for a new love! ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it possible Mr. Veiled Chameleon is having a mid-life crisis??

    I agree: this is definitely a story to share with impressionable young chameleons... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. here ye be:

    http://www.nlac.nf.ca/feature/theonce.htm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you,Laughing Wolf! I'm going to buy it for Mr. Summy for his upcoming birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The legend of Mr. V C's escape into the great beyond...and he's prolific, so that story will keep spreading (hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you found Mr. C. Sounds like a mid life crisis! Funny post. Thanks for the Hunger Mt. link.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my! I think Mr. Chameleon wanted a taste of macho manhood ;) Maybe for his birthday you can give him his own (little) sports car? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!