Monday, October 25, 2010

More from New York City . . .

We started today on an open-air double-decker Greyline tour bus, headed downtown to the southern-most tip of Manhattan: Battery Park. The weather was beautiful, and we sat up top. No doubt Child #4 and I brought this spring-like weather with us from California. When we leave on Thursday, we'll be taking it back with us. New Yorkers, you have been warned. ;)

Anyway, we learned all manner of New York trivia during our tour. I managed to jot down a couple of facts. Mostly though, I enjoyed the ride, eavesdropped on the Quebeckers sitting behind us (I don't hear Quebec French very often, and that's my excuse for listening in!), and laughed at all the tour guide's jokes.

Here's a little trivia for you:
-Manhattan comes from an Indian (Algonquin??) word meaning "island of rolling hills."
-Lombardi's Pizzaria, 32 Spring Street, was the first American pizzeria, licenced in 1905. Apparently, it really is good New York pizza. Child #4 and I added it to our to-do list, but I have my doubts as to us making it there. The list is too long for the number of remaining days.
-Disney bought the New Amsterdam Theatre (where we saw Mary Poppins) when it was still part of the red-light district of 42nd Street. Child #4 had a couple of questions about this!

The Sphere was originally located between the Twin Towers. It was resurrected from the rubble following 9-11 and set in Battery Park as a reminder. You can see how battered it is.

I took this cell-phone picture of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island ferry. Child #4 got a much clearer and closer shot, but I forgot to bring the usb cable that goes to her camera. The statue is very majestic. There's so much history down here by the harbor; Child #4 and I are really not doing it justice. We could've spent our entire trip, poking around this area. BTW, the Staten Island ferry is free.

This is a street in China Town, on the Lower East Side. We'd like to get back here for a meal. And that establishment in the photo that offers back and feet rubs looks tempting. We've been doing A LOT of walking!


Here I am at the door of the Folio Literary Agency. There's something surreal about visiting a place you've only emailed and phoned. See the sparkle on the door? It almost looks like Sherry's mother (a ghost in the I SO DON'T DO mystery series) is dropping in on Folio with me. ;)

Rachel Vater, my agent, holding up a copy of I SO DON'T DO SPOOKY, which actually goes on sale in paperback TOMORROW! Rachel is as smart and vivacious as she looks.

Off to dinner we went. Good company, good food, good music!

Here's a picture way out in left field. Where do you set your American Girl doll in the restroom at the American Girl store? Why there's a special hook, just the right size for holding an American Girl doll, in each cubicle.

Tomorrow: Greenwich Village



2 comments:

  1. It’s fun to see my home town from a visitor’s perspective. I walked everywhere in NYC growing up – best way to get around and see the city.

    My husband and I got married on a boat passing the Statue of Liberty with the Twin Towers in the background, sigh.

    Better than the sparkling door is your glowing agent. I can see what makes her smile. Congratulations on making it to paperback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool about the Sphere. As for that hook, I swear at first it looked like a jet fighter to me.

    Glad you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!