Monday, October 25, 2010

My Town Monday: Dinner in New York City with Editor Wendy

Monday finds me in . . . NEW YORK CITY! Still having a Grand Adventure with Child #4!

(I do owe you a post about our Saturday experience on Long Island. Pinky promise, I will get to it. I've actually started writing it, but found I need a little more time to process the day. (All good, though.)

So, last night, Summy Child #4 and I met up with Editor Wendy and Loggia Child #1 for dinner. Very, very fun! And yummy!


We ate at Virgil's Barbecue. Right by Time's Square. Personally, I can recommend the shrimp and pecan rice. Summy Child #4 was determined to eat ribs (This girl likes her meat!), and since ribs weren't to be found on the children's menu, she ordered her first meal from an adult menu. Another New York memory.


Quite frankly, I was a little worried as this child generally EATS LIKE A BIRD! But not this time! So, I can also recommend the ribs. I happened to notice that the Loggia girls cleaned their plates, so I guess I can also recommend the fried chicken and barbecue chicken!

All joking aside, the food was great. And the company was greater!


the south side of the table: me and Editor Wendy. Pardon the wooden cast to our skin. My Blackberry's flash is strong enough to signal in planes at LaGuardia. It was very good to see Editor Wendy again; we last hung out during the summer of 2009.


the north side of the table: Summy Child #4 and Loggia Child #1.

I've wanted to make the acquaintance of Loggia Child #1 for a while. Her mother mentions her from time to time, so I knew she was an interesting person. Also, she reads all the Sherry books, and what author doesn't want to meet a reader?! And now that we've met, I can say that Loggia Child #1 is intelligent, articulate, thoughtful and a good storyteller. I hope our paths cross again. (Hmmm...I wonder if she knows her name is used in I SO DON'T DO FAMOUS. Perhaps not!)


Of course, an evening in Times Square is incomplete without a gander at the Naked Cowboy. Summy Child #4 was appalled. And more appalled that her mother took this picture! Editor Wendy assures me the Naked Cowboy makes more than enough money to buy himself some decent clothes.


Earlier in the day, Child #4 and I took in a Broadway musical: Mary Poppins. Beyond delightful! And we visited an obscenely large Toys R Us WITH AN INDOOR FERRIS WHEEL and an extravagant assortment of gummy candy!

What's on the agenda for today in the Big Apple? A Hop-On-Hop-Off Greyline bus tour. And shopping. In a brilliant fashion move, Child #4 "forgot" her jacket and, now, we must shop for one!

Happy Monday to you all, wherever you may be! Here's the link to the official My Town Monday blog where you'll find great posts about other bloggers' neck (or is it necks?) of the woods.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe you heard about our disgraced colonel up here - naked cowboys make me cringe.

    But I'm so happy for you and your daughter's NYC adventure. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a grand adventure, and what a treat to share it with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fun to take your daughter to NYC! As for eating like a bird, don't birds frequently eat their body weight? Flying about takes energy. I can assure you, as a native New Yorker, the city is not all Naked Cowboys and ribs. Still, you are making me homesick, but I'm not going back until Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds so much fun!! I loved the pictures, especially of the naked cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hilarious post! Sounds like you're having a blast in NY. And at least your photo with Editor Wendy came out better than it did in 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabe: I have not heard of your disgraced colonel. I'll have to google...

    Debra: I do feel lucky to have this time with just the two of us.

    Sarah: I will think of you back here at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa: The picture of the naked cowboy is still on my cell phone. Child #4 can't believe it!

    Sherrie: You have a GREAT memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a frontal shot of that Nekkid Cowboy when I was in Times Square--but "behind" is a good shot too:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!