Monday, October 18, 2010

My Town Monday: Guess this Famous San Diegan

It's that wonderful day of the week again. When Mr. Summy and the children trundle off to work and school, leaving me in a quiet home. I do love my Mondays! And, for today's My Town Monday post, I'll throw out some hints, and we'll see if you can identify this famous San Diegan.

This person founded the La Jolla Playhouse. (La Jolla is a ritzy beach community is San Diego County.)

This person was born on April 14, 1916 in La Jolla.

He attended San Diego High School, then went on to UC Berkley where he majored in English and joined the rowing team.

He decided to become an actor, headed to New York City and was, at times, so poor that he slept in Central Park.

He was nominated for five Academy Awards. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6100 Hollywood Blvd. The star was stolen in 2005, but has been replaced.

And the giveaway clue: He won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his 1962 performance as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

You've probably all got it by now. So, here's a photo.

Famous San Diegan Gregory Peck

Please check out these other terrific My Town Monday posts:

Debra of Skilled Hands posts about the birds in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio

Gabe Goldstone goes on holiday to Kelowna, British Columbia

Jim Winter posts about the sunset on the west side of Cincinnati, OH

And here's the link to the official My Town Monday blog.


sources:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Peck, http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Geography/San-Diego-11058.html

10 comments:

  1. Gregory Peck was one classy man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Debra. I learned a lot of little tidbits about him that didn't make it into the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was the perfect Atticus Finch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So poor that he slept in Central Park? What a passion to succeed. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra: I'm going to have to rent the movie. It's been years since I've seen it. Child #3 has this book on his 9th grade reading list.

    Gabe: Personally, I couldn't have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being retired, I cannot count on quiet time. But today hubby went into the city to visit a friend with a health issue. It was so lovely. I didn't get dressed until after lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I learned a lot from this post. I didn't know that Gregory Peck was from San Diego or poor, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you get to claim a NATIONAL TREASURE as from your town? Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn: Yes, that is the life!

    Teresa: I learn a lot about San Diego from writing these posts.:)

    Green Girl: Yeah, it's how we roll down here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Gregory Peck as Atticus. I didn't know he started out that poor for his art. I admire him the more for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!