Tuesday, October 26, 2010

We love Greenwich Village, NY!

Today, Child #4 and I headed to Greenwich Village for a walking food and cultural tour. In three syllables, is was FAN-TAS-TIC! Seriously, I would recommend this in a New York minute! We sampled; we walked; we learned; we made new friends; we had fun.


Below is a teeny-tiny bit of what we experienced.

Meet Cherry Lane Theatre, located in Greenwich Village. It's an off-off-broadway theatre. So, what makes a theatre "broadway," "off-broadway," or "off-off-broadway"?

Answer: The number of seats in the theatre. Broadway=500+ seats, 0ff-broadway=100-499 seats, off-off-broadway=less than 100 seats.

And look who's currently playing at the Cherry Lane? RICHARD DREYFUSS!



One of the several food stops on the tour was Joe's Pizza. In Spider Man 2, Tobey Maguire/Peter Parker got fired from Joe's Pizza. Joe's Pizza has been around for 30 years. They cook their pies in gaslit ovens that run 600 - 650 degrees fahrenheit. A hop, skip and a jump away on Bleecker Street, John's Pizzeria, which started in 1929, cooks their pies in a coal-fired oven at 900 degrees.

Neopolitan New York pizza from Joe's. What makes NY pizza so special? Apparently, it's the water used in the dough. This pizza was uberdelicious!


Greenwich Locksmiths. Sounds kind of boring, but keep scrolling...



A wall of keys! Some people are so creative.


An entire chair made of keys. Child #4 said it wasn't all that comfortable!

The Lobster Place on Bleecker Street, where the upscale chefs of New York City come to shop! Child #4 is staring at the fishy wares on display, a little grossed out.

A last bit of trivia: Greenwich Village takes up two square miles of Manhattan.

Oh, and we booked our 3-hour walking tour with Food of New York Tours, 212-209-3370. Highly recommended by both Child #4 and me.

Tomorrow: Random House, Wicked, shopping for souvenirs, ???

11 comments:

  1. cool beans, barrie!

    didja know a montreal bagelry, now also set up in nyc, is THE best... in new york?

    see? canucks CAN do [some] things right! :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Village too. I spent a lot of time there as a teen and then revisited it in my YA novel. I tend to like off (and off off) Broadway better than Broadway. I wonder if those lobsters came from Maine.

    I spotted “i so don’t do mysteries” at our school book fair today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tour sounds awesome...although I'd never convince my husband to go on it. So, I'll just have to visit NYC with someone else!

    Wicked?! You lucky ducks! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sure know how to sightsee! Last time I went to New York, I only visited Chinatown and Long Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy New York Pizza when I was there but I don't know if I could agree as some say that it's the best pizza in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing trip. It is making me hungry! Enjoy Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the NYC I've only read about...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to do that! Looks like you are having a lovely time.
    Have fun at Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never get enough of NY. Are we doing First Wednesdays. If so I have THE HELP by Stockett ready to go. I will be away so I am assuming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am loving reading about your New York adventure. My 5yo has been asking to go to NYC since he was 3. Seriously. So we finally promised that we would go this coming summer. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is some wonderful trivia in this one. I especially liked the info on what makes it "off-Broadway;" I never knew!

    I really "need" to go to NYC.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!