Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Book Review Club (November 2010)

Please give a warm welcome to my critique partner, the wonderful and talented Kathy Krevat. Kathy stopped by to post about one of her favorite adult mystery authors. Thank you, Kathy! Oh, and in case you were counting on your fingers and toes....this is our TWENTY-THIRD meeting! Yowser!


DATING DEAD MEN by Harley Jane Kozak

Were you ever sad when a book was over? All Harley Jane Kozak’s books starring Wollie Shelley made me wish I had more of Wollie’s antics to read.

If you’ve never read Harley’s books, you’re in for a treat. And you have four books to enjoy!

In DATING DEAD MEN, Wollie is hilarious and immediately likeable as a struggling greeting card artist who takes part in some questionable dating research – 40 dates in 60 days -- to earn five thousand dollars to fund her store. Trying to impress the corporate honcho who can give Wolley what she wants most, to buy her own greeting card store, is almost impossible, especially when he hears the message her mentally ill brother leaves announcing a murder at his state mental hospital.

When Wollie drives to the hospital, she stumbles across a dead body and is kidnapped by a fake doctor, “Doc,” who drags her into a wacky mystery. Poor Wollie has to help solve the murder while avoiding the men trying to kill Doc, taking care of her paranoid schizophrenic brother, pleasing the secret shoppers who will verify that Wollie runs a quality store, and figuring out how to feed the pet ferret Doc left in her care.

Harley’s writing is wonderfully funny with entertaining details about L.A. and approaching 40 as a single woman. The secondary characters are even more colorful and just as fun as Wollie.

And when you finish DATING DEAD MEN, you have DATING IS MURDER, DEAD EX and A DATE YOU CAN'T REFUSE! Enjoy!

Thank you, Kathy! I loved DATING DEAD MEN and didn't realize there were so many more Wollie books. Speaking of more, please click through to the reviews below. You'll be glad you did!

MIDDLE GRADE/YOUNG ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Ellen Booraem of Freelance Ne'er-do-well: DIARY OF A WIMPY KID by Jeff Kinney (middle grade)

Sarah Laurence: THE HUNGER GAMES, CATCHING FIRE and MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins with an interview with the trilogy's editor, Kate Egan!!!

Stacy Nyikos: GOING BOVINE by Libba Bray (young adult)

Keri Mikulski: PINNED by Alfred C. Martino (young adult)

Jody Feldman: FIVE FLAVORS OF DUMB by Antony John (Young Adult)


ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Patti Abbott: THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett

Scott Parker: NAKED HEAT by Richard Castle (mystery)

Alyssa Goodnight of the Writers' Road Less Traveled: ROYAL BLOOD by Rhys Bowen (historical mystery)

Linda McLaughlin: HIS MAJESTY'S DRAGON by Naomi Novik (fantasy)

Jenn Jilks of My Muskoka: CAROL 'A WOMAN'S WAY' by Kathy Ashby


Lucy Sartain of Ranting and RavingMINI SHOPAHOLIC by Sophie Kinsella

NONFICTION REVIEWS

Kathy Holmes: THE ACCIDENTAL BILLIONAIRES: THE FOUNDING OF FACEBOOK


GRAPHIC NOVEL

Staci of Life in the Thumb: THE EXILE: AN OUTLANDER GRAPHIC NOVEL by Diana Gabaldon



Note to Reviewers: Leave a comment if I missed you or made a mistake concerning your review. I'm pretty disorganized these days, so it wouldn't surprise me if I dropped the ball somewhere! I'll rectify the situation the second I get a chance.

ENJOY!


12 comments:

  1. Welcome, Kathy! Great review of what sounds like a very original story. The cover is fun.

    Barrie, thanks for hosting in a busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barrie, this is the link to my review. So glad I could finally get back into the swing after moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise sound pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely sounds like a fun one! And great characters can totally make a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me about this book! I'd seen it around but hadn't looked into it. Just sent a sample to my Kindle so I can read it when I finish my current book. I really like Lisa Lutz's Spellmans series, and I've heard this compared with them, so that's a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a hoot--similar to the Spellmans, yes, and also Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Major escapism!

    Thanks for the review, Kathy, and thanks as always for hosting the review club, Barrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds fabulous - must get this. I'm on a mystery kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kind of late but I did post a review.

    Oh, and Harley Jane Kozak used to be a soap opera actress. She had a giant C fall on her head and kill her in Santa Barbara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coming by for these reviews. I always find another book to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! Thanks for hosting the club, Barrie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title alone makes the book worth picking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fun and perfect for me. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!