Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Book Review Club (December 2010)

Well, well, well. It's our last book club meeting of 2010! It's been a year chockful of interesting and thoughtful reviews. A huge thank-you to each reviewer. It's a lot of work, cranking out these reviews, and it's even more work to do such an outstanding job. I am lifting a glass of cyber champagne to each and every one of you. Cheers! I can't wait to see what you read in 2011!

Oh, and in case anyone is counting (that would be me!), this is our TWENTY-FOURTH get-together!

ROVER SAVES CHRISTMAS by Roddy Doyle is a very Irish, very funny, very silly, very imaginative middle-grade book. It makes a great read-along. And even a great read-alone!

From the flap: Fasten your seat belts, kids, it's going to be a bumpy night...It's coming on Christmas, and Rudolph's staying home sick on his one day of work a year. Santa has no choice but to call on the only fellow who's sure to have the smarts, the talent, the good looks and charm to be a proper substitute: Rover.

The author often talks to the reader (which I love). Here's an example from page 26: INTERRUPTION You're probably wondering why Kayla kept saying, "Who are you?" Well, the answer is easy. She couldn't say anything else.


The beginning of chapter 4 is a perfect example of Doyle's sense of humor.


Disclaimer: The photo above is a little misleading. Child #4 is FAKE-reading ROVER SAVES CHRISTMAS. She is actually in the middle of reading another book (one which I am not reviewing). However, we'll be enjoying Rover together by the end of the week as it's next on our list. This is probably the fouth time I've read this book! And always at this time of year.



Please click on the links below. They'll lead you to all sorts of wonderful book reviews!


MIDDLE GRADE/YOUNG ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Stacy Nyikos: THIS BOOK IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU by Pseudonymous Bosch (middle grade)

Thao of serene hours: A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN by Kristin Walker (young adult)


ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

Kaye of the Book Review Forum: AN AMISH CHRISTMAS by Cynthia Keller

Staci of Life in the Thumb: THE REINDEER KEEPER by Barbara Briggs Ward (Christmas/Inspirational)

Stacy of The Cat's Meow: THE MISCHIEF OF THE MISTLETOE by Lauren Willig (mystery series)

David Cranmer of The Education of a Pulp Writer: RIPLEY UNDER GROUND by Patricia Highsmith (psychological thriller)

Scott Parker: SILENCE OF THE GRAVE by Arnaldur Indirdason (mystery)

Jenn Jilks of My Muskoka: A SIMPLE CASE OF SUICIDE by Laura Kendall (mystery, romantic thriller)

Patti Abbott: SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE by Libby Fischer Hellmann (thriller, historical)

Sarah Laurence: THE COOKBOOK COLLECTOR by Allegra Goodman (literary)

Sarahlynn of Yeah, but Houdini didn't have these hips: BLEEDING KANSAS by Sara Paretsky


NONFICTION REVIEWS

Ellen Booraem of Freelance Ne'er-do-well: THE SHALLOWS: WHAT THE INTERNET IS DOING TO OUR BRAINS by Nicholas Carr


Note to Reviewers: Leave a comment if I missed you or made a mistake concerning your review. I'll rectify the situation the second I get a chance.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. A great bunch of books this month, Barrie. I enjoyed taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barrie-The title is SET THE WORLD ON FIRE. Thanks. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Set the Night on Fire. I am up too early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Barrie. I love how you market your books. Love the look of your page, too.
    Just a small correction: my book is called

    'A Simple Case of Suicide'

    ReplyDelete
  5. David: So glad you're participating!

    Patti: Got it! Thanks! And to think you're headed my way soon!

    Jenn: Got it! Thanks! I was obviously working on this post far too late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barrie, my book report isn't up and won't be this month. We spent yesterday buying a new car, a 2011 Altima Hybrid, and we have to pick it up this morning. I'll review Warrior in January.

    My apologies to all.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem, Linda. Congrats on your new car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how adorable!! I'm taking some time off from writing up a book review for the holidays... Will make the tour, tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, there are definitely some good books in the line-up this month. Enjoy the reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHERE WAS THAT TITLE LAST WEEK WHEN MY BOOK CLUB COULDN'T FIND A CHRISTMAS BOOK? (yes, I did shout that)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book sounds like a good one. Sweet. :)

    I was going to review a book but, well, it didn't work out this month. I am, however, having a contest for a book on my blog if you want to stop by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read all the reviews. Thanks to all of you who take the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos, Barrie! And the book sounds like a new classic.

    Thanks for the champagne! Right back at you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. My boys and I read The Giggler Treatment by Mr. Doyle, and they laughed full, belly laughs all the way through. We will definitely have to look this one up!

    (I'm sad to miss such a great round-up!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the page that Child #4 is holding up and how we are supposed to dress to read that book. Usually in California one would suffer heat stroke following those instructions, but this week, it sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that one sounds wonderful and a must have for my library shelves. BTW...your books are constantly checked out!!! It puts a smile on my face every time a student brings one up to the counter!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Book review on THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins, YA science fiction. http://misadventuresofateenagewriter.blogspot.com/2010/12/can-you-believe-today-is-first-day-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun fun fun! And timely. I write this at my desk (in a windowed nook) wearing a light coat and heavy scarf, neither are helping the condition of my blue fingers. If only I had this novel to read rather than curriculum correlation guides to create.

    (Belatedly thinking I should have reviewed a Christmas novel!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a fun read. I'm off to catch up on all the other reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!