Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Town Monday: Pink's Hot Dog Stand, Hollywood, CA

I was back up in Hollywood, CA yesterday. Doing research. I'm furiously writing i so don't do famous, Book#4 in the mystery series.

Suddenly I discover there are a few places 13-year-old detective Sherry Holmes Baldwin is determined to visit. Places I've never been to. And a couple more more places she plans to hang out at that I, uh, barely remember.

So, off a-researching I go.

With Sherry's love of junk food, you know she'll be eating at the one-and-only Pink's Hot Dog Stand. Plus, it's located fairly close to the hotel she's staying at with her dad and her best friend, Junie.

Pink's is family owned and has been around since 1939. At first, it was a large-wheeled pushcart.


By the way, it took a while to get this shot because there's so much traffic on La Brea. But, for your viewing pleasure, I waited patiently.


Everybody eats at Pink's. Including a lot of famous people. You might see a limo pull up while you're in line!


Here's a close-up of a fellow countryman. Some famous people have hot dogs named after them. For example, the $5.70 Martha Stewart dog is 16" long with relish, chopped tomatoes, onions, sauerkraut, bacon and sour cream. And a little trivia about prices: During the depression, Pink's chili dogs sold for 10 cents.

Here's part of the menu.


Thank you to the young man who let me snap a shot of his order! Sorry, but it was too early in the day for me to successfully face a hot dog.

Before I forget, here's the address for Pink's: 709 North La Brea Ave. (this is at the corner of La Brea and Melrose), Los Angeles, CA 90038-3338. Phone: 323-931-4223

And a special thank you to Kathy Krevat, fellow Denny's Chick critique partner, who researched with me. And made it such a fun day!

Now, hop on over to the My Town Monday blog to see what others are posting about.

Sources: http://www.pinkshollywood.com/pgz/history.htm

15 comments:

  1. I think you might have the second best job in the world.


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have warm enough weather for an open stand amazes me. We ate hotdogs at a winter carnival on Saturday-but inside a heated tent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's research I could get behind! You must have felt like a Food Network star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy mustard!!! Oddly enough, I'm having hot dog cravings now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between J Winter's 5-way chili today and Pink's chili dogs here, I'm having a hella chili craving right now!

    We're huge hotdog fans here, and have traveled far for the secret knowledge of amazing doggies. But even though I lived in LA as a kid, I never went to Pink's, because my mom is not loving the tube steaks. Thanks for the vicarious fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know - I've never been to Pink's but must go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched PBS or the food channel and saw a show about Pink's. I never went there, though. Sherrie is definitely a better tourist than I!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun research! Thanks for letting us tag along :-)





    Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an odd affection for hot dogs.....next time I am in Hollywood, CA- I think I will have a meat pilgrimage to Pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!!

    I'm heading out to Malibu this spring! :) I'd love to hit up Pink's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a neat little hole-in-the-wall place!

    I simply must go there next time I'm in Hollywood.

    Personally, I gave up hot dogs a while ago...just because of the gross stuff they put in those things. Plus, I don't really like the thought of eating all these nasty by-products and "extra" parts of the pig. *Shudders*

    But hey maybe I will try it! After all, a lot of famous people have been there.

    Anyway, nice place!

    Also, I CANNOT WAIT TILL THE NEXT SHERRY BOOK COMES OUT!

    Hurry, hurry, hurry!

    Good luck with the book writing...I know it can be really tough sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo!!! I'm really looking forward to the next Sherry book as well.

    If you check out my blog tomorrow, you'll see a stellar review of both MYSTERIES and SPOOKY. Keep 'em coming!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you scout actual locations to include in your fiction - how fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!