Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Town Monday: Pine Hill Egg Ranch, Ramona, CA

Last Monday, I blogged about a visit to the Julian Tea and Cottage Arts. On the way back home, we stopped at the Pine Hill Egg Ranch in Ramona because my friend, Christina, was determined to find . . .

DOUBLE-YOLKED EGGS!! Well, find them we did! At the above location for about $2.00/dozen.

Doubled-yolked eggs?! I had never heard of the beast until Christina came up with the crazy quest. But, according to the sales person behind the counter, a pullet (hen under a year old) first lays very small eggs followed by a couple of weeks of double yolkers.

While poking around on the internet, I found some other interesting and odd facts about eggs:
-Hens that eat garlic, fish or fruit will lay yucky-tasting eggs.
-There is such a thing as a double-shelled egg.
-And there are even shell-less eggs.
-From the Guiness Book of Records: The world's largest chicken egg had FIVE yolks and a diameter of 9 inches. The world's heaviest egg weighed ONE POUND and had both a double yolk and a double shell.
-An egg without a yolk is called a "fart egg." (This term will be the source of much amusement among the Summy children.)

By the way, it's very hard to crack a double yolker without breaking one of the yolks.



A double-yolked egg (left) is much larger than its normal counterpart (right egg, Large, Grade A).

Please appreciate how much self-control I exercised in not ending with a yolk/joke line!


Click here for links to more My Town Monday posts. Also, if you're even marginally thinking about writing a My-Town-Monday post, please do! Fair warning, though, it's addictive! Write your post, then leave a comment on the official My Town Monday blog so we can get a link up to you.





sources:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know it had anything to do with pullets. We used to see double yokers once in a while when we raised chickens. Not very often. It was always kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been writing a scene about chickens this week. I happen to despise the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting post, Barrie. I learn so much on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting post, Barrie. I learn so much on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. coolios, barrie!

    too bad you missed these eggs:

    http://dailycontributor.com/worlds-largest-egg-on-sale-in-london/4048/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you mean if those eggs had hatched they would have been identical twins?!

    Nice try, Barrie - with the yolk line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. never heard of them before!!

    i love Julian :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and my parents moved me to Big Cabin, Oklahoma when I was 13. The first animals I was allowed to get were a dozen chickens. I loved those chickens and would sit on a bale of hay watching every move they made for about two weeks. Took awhile for them to adjust, I remember the first egg laid, I ran with it held high in the air, yelling all the way to the house. After awhile though, I got tired of watching them scratch and cluck at each other; gathering eggs was just another chore after awhile, but we did get some really nice double yolked eggs. Anyway, thanks for the post, it brought up some old memories. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!