Monday, January 24, 2011

My Town Monday: Children's Pool/Seals' Beach, La Jolla, CA

We had a GORGEOUS weekend in San Diego. It was in the 70s at the beach, and there was a high surf advisory. This meant warm weather and spectactular waves. We headed to La Jolla.

This is a view from street level of the Children's Pool AKA Seals' Beach.


The walkway was closed due to high waves, some as high as nine feet.

Those lumps lying on the beach? Seals!

I did a post in 2008 about the seals on this beach and how the City of San Diego was planning to dredge the beach to get rid of the seals. Obviously this didn't happen. Today, there were a couple of groups with tables at the top of the stairs. One group wants the City to continue to allow humans and seals to co-exist on this beach. The other group wants the area to be seal only. I pretty much ignored them all. I was just out for the sun and a stroll, not to get embroiled in the ongoing brouhaha.


Here's a close-up of a harbor seal.


A seal frolics in the waves.


No trip to the beach is complete without some impromtu building. This is the work of Child #4. She also buried my feet.


And, of course, a stop at the ice cream truck was in order.

All these photos were taken with the brand new camera I got for Christmas, a Casio EX-FH20. It's quite complicated (for me) and has an amazing 20x optical zoom. Hence the close-up above of the seal. I wasn't actually within touching distance of him. :)

Happy Birthday to my little sister!

For links to more My Town Monday posts, please pop over to to the official My Town Monday blog.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to see the seals!

    Happy birthday to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found out I might be heading to LA this August for a Union convention. If so I'll bring the family and make a sidetrack down to Sand Diego to catch some of the sights you've shown me over the years. Maybe we can all meet for lunch or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place!! I never knew that San Diego had seals outside of Sea World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between Reb's ice sculptures and your seals and waves, we've covered both ends of the ice/water specturm this week.

    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barrie, do you live in San Diego? I'm coming to Irvine in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's snowing and cold here. Wanna trade? And...both my "boys" are no longer in San Diego! Boo Hiss. How about that?
    Nancy V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brouhaha is definitely an underused word...

    The Seal Beach was literally the first place we stopped when we drove to San Diego from Tucson about five years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Barrie, that is so neat!! What a great day. The surf looks spectacular, and those seals are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn;t know you lived in SD! I was in SD about a year ago, and I LOVED it!!! I want/NEED to go back soon.

    I saw Coronado Beach...but alas, no seals. But the city was fabulous....I need to move there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!