Monday, July 4, 2011

My Town Monday: Supporting the Locals in San Diego, CA

What does San Diego have in common with Seattle and Portland?

We have a bunch of microbreweries!

And what does Via Moto, the new Italian restaurant that opened June 15 in my neck of the woods, have in common with Seattle and Portland?

They serve a bunch of microbrewed beers!

SEVEN of the beers on tap at Via Moto are brewed locally. And the restaurant offers samples. So, if you don't know if you want a beer from Mira Mesa versus a beer from Escondido, well, you can take them both for a test drive (taste drive :) ).

The food was yummy, and the prices are good. I had a roasted-veggie salad. But next time I'm going for the thin-crust Marguerite Pizza. I'll be choosing the whole-wheat option. Also, it's a casual restaurant and kid friendly. You can dine inside or on the patio. You can order at the counter or sit at a table for full service. Rumor has it live music on the patio is in the future.


Here's a bench (one of several areas) studded with tiles decorated by students at local schools. Too cute!

Via Moto is at 9331 Mission Gorge Road, Santee, CA; (619) 328-0434. No one paid me to write this post. I was just impressed with the restaurant and figured I'd use the blog for good instead of evil on this glorious July 4th. :)

AND SPEAKING OF SUPPORTING LOCALS...I'll be at the Santee Public Library, my home library (9225 Carlton Hills Blvd, Santee, CA 92071, 619-448-1863) tomorrow July 5th from noon to 1pm. There'll be an entertaining authors' panel with yours truly and Cindy Pon (and you know how much I love that Young Adult author!), fellow Delacorte Press author Kirsten Hubbard (whom I'm dying to meet), Adult and Middle Grade author Greg van Eekhout (whom I've "author-paneled" with before. He's hilarious.) On top of all this, the library is providing a FREE lunch! And, yes, books will be for sale.

Please click here for links to more My Town Monday posts! It's always fun to see what's going on in other corners of the world. Happy Fourth!



5 comments:

  1. I just bottled up my first batch of my own brew yesterday. Looking forward to drinking it in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Looks like you could get drunk just having samples!Well,I'm here in Michigan for the 4th of July but i so would be there in California for the food and the signing.Great post(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barrie! I know what I'm going to say doesn't have much to do with your blog post... But I just want to let you know that your books are so fun to read! Please make tons of more books! If I had to choose an author to read from, it's definitly you! I hope you can write more books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for encouraging people to support local entities! That's a big thing in the small town where I live, because it's so tempting to order online (which I know I do all too often) or go to the nearest city to get what we need.

    Oh, and I LOVE the bench, too. So cute. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog! Thanks a lot for sharing with us. San Diego has long been a city that is proud of its small business community.I liked very much the bench.
    San Diego IT Support

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!