Monday, September 26, 2011

My Town Monday: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Well, well, well. Guess who's coming to lunch (yes, it's lunch, not dinner, but I couldn't resist the title!) in sunny San Diego?



It's our very own President Obama! No surprise that he's smiling. We've promised him our world-famous wonderful weather AND lunch at a private home in swanky La Jolla. Yes, it's the same swanky La Jolla where Child #3, Child #4 and I spent a large portion of our summer thanks to ambitious Child #3's determination to take a high-school Spanish class.

It's kind of weird to think the president is just a hop, skip and a jump west of our little house today. Unfortunately, I won't be attending his fundraiser luncheon. $5,000 per plate is a smidgeon beyond my budget. As is the additional $10,000 to have my pic taken with the President. (Although wouldn't that have been a fun photo for the blog!!?) And there's also the small matter that my name wasn't among the 160 on the guest list!

After lunch, the President is headed up to LA. In fact, he won't be far from his old stomping grounds of Occidental College, where Child #2 is currently studying.

IF I were going to the luncheon and found myself next to the President, here's what I'd say:

-Thank you for changing the horrible health care system in this country even a little bit. Now Child #1 is insured once again under our plan and can remain there until the ripe old age of 26. I can't begin to tell you the number of his friends (people in their early 20s who are part-time students working jobs that don't offer medical) who were completely and utterly uninsured.

-Please forgo your visit to the House of Blues in West Hollywood and instead stop in at Occidental College and deliver these home-baked cookies to Child #2.

-Yes, you can have a few of the cookies.

Here's a link to the official My Town Monday blog for links to more posts about various corners of the world. Always of interest!

Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday!

11 comments:

  1. Wow!! You will be that close to the Secret Service detail, etc.

    I agree that delivering cookies would be a better use of Presidential time than the House of Blues...

    Great post, Barrie. Next time, you'll probably be on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could get even a thousand for my pic with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookie part made me laugh, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,cool![:
    If I did have the money,that'd seem a liiittle expensive for a meal,imagine taking 7 people (My family).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post title made me LOL! Hope the traffic's not too bad - or that you're able to stay out of it if it is. We've had our share of Presidential visits, between being a swing state and home to the largest USAF base (in terms of employment), and that's the only thing I ever notice! And cookies - :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where does the $10,000.00 go? Hopefully, toward the deficit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One wonders what they serve for that kind of price...
    I think what you'd say to President Obama is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Barrie. He stopped by Maine and caused a flurry of excitement. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. about that wee deficit...

    good post, barrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your prez came to my hometown of Ottawa a couple of years ago but I didn't get invited to any events either :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I really wanted to see that pic on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!