Monday, June 9, 2008

My Town Monday + Bye Book #2 + Birthday Wishes!

Guess what?

I SO DON'T DO SPOOKY has left my house!!

Yes, Book #2 has wended its merry way through cyberspace to Editor Wendy at Delacorte Press/Random House. A little advice to Book #2: put your best foot (page?) forward, make your mother proud, come home to visit.

Child #4 was beyond thrilled to see me push the "send" button because now her mother will definitely be bar-b-cueing at tomorrow's 2nd grade picnic. Such joy for both of us. I am thinking of grilling something a little experimental for the classmates. Never fear, I will do the regular hot dogs and whatever else I'm handed. But...I did see an interesting recipe for grilled bananas...

But that is tomorrow and today is today. And today is My Town Monday!


Now, doesn't this sound uber fun? We rent a kayak (that seats one or two or three people). These are kayaks designed for your everyday blogger. Which means we can all do this, not just those of us who are athletic. We kayak into sea caves nestled in 75 million year old sandstone cliffs. There are 7 sea caves facing north from La Jolla Shores. Six of them are only accessible by kayak. We will get wet. We might lose our glasses. We will wear ugly helmets. We will get some excellent pics if we bring a waterproof camera. We might see leopard sharks. We might see seals and sea lions and dolphins. And who knows what else.

Tours of the 7 caves last about two hours. And cost about $45 if you want a kayak to yourself, $75 if you share with a friend, $105 if you share with two friends. I will not share with Travis or Patti-o as I would be laughing far too hard to pull my weight paddling. At which point, Travis and Patti would no doubt toss me overboard.


Here's a photo of Sunny Jim's Cave, (named by Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz) which is accessible by land.

It's wise to reserve your spot. There are at least a couple of different companies who offer sea cave tours:
http://www.sandiegobikeandkayaktours.com/
http://www.lajollaseacavekayaks.com/caves.php

You can save money by just renting the kayak and not doing the tours. But, for me, I'd end up lost for seven years in one of the seven caves. So, at least for my first sea cave foray, I'm going with a guide.

My Town Monday comes to us via Travis Erwin. Thanks, Travis! Click on his site to read his post about the Texas panhandle. AND to find links to the other participants.

Oh,oh, oh! I just got an email from a little bird who informed me that today is my former English teacher's 67th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MR. MAGEE!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting that book out there. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cave exploration sounds like a blast. Way to go on book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caves kind of creep me out so I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to venture in. And kudos for getting the book sent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the book!

    Happy birthday to Mr. Magee!

    Love the caves.

    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I wish I was there. Congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing up the book! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those kayak tours sound amazing, provided that they aren't the kind of kayaks that flip over.

    Hooray for book #2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the book AND the bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on getting your book out.

    The boats would put me off, but you had me wanting to go tomorrow to see the caves. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent news on the book! congrats! i'd take you up on the kayak thing except that the 1st cave picture reminds me of that cave that Harry Potter and Dumbledore went into in book 6. creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Through all of these My town Monday posts I am learning that there are several fun things to do that you have kept hidden from me all these years that I have been coming to visit. I think we are going to have to have a chat about this. XO

    -YPN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barrie, congrats on getting the second book finished and to the editor.

    The caves sound really fascinating, but I'm not sure I'm up to kayaking, lol. Good post.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barrie,
    Just came across your birthday
    greetings!!
    That 'Big Bird' placed me in "The Guiness Book of Records" at 676 yrs.young!!
    P.M.&D.B.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!