Monday, January 5, 2009

No My Town Monday posts today




No My Town Monday posts today. Travis Erwin, brainchild of this weekly blog round-up, suffered a tragedy early Sunday morning. His home burned down. He, his wife and their two kids are all okay. And now I've passed on all the details I know. Please visit Travis' blog and offer your condolences.

On the car front (where dh was hit by a 22-year-old female who ran a red light, then lied to the police by stating my dh had run the light and then, a couple of days later, told her insurance company she wanted extra money for "bodily damages" (seatbelt bruises):

After dropping off Child #3 at swim practice, I plugged the 22-year-old female's address into my nav. (Got the address from the police report) Sorry, Barbara Martin, I can hear you sighing already. But, please don't despair, I didn't do anything foolhardy. Anyhoo....found the address (scuzzy apartment), found the car (dents in the front), took pictures (as neighbors watched, but didn't speak to me). Drove away. Shaking. I am not as brave a detective as my little Sherry!

DH filed in Small Claims court. The 22 year old was served. Our court date is at the beginning of Feb. We found someone to help us build our little case. Hence the need for the photos.




Several thank-yous are in order. First off, to Kim at It's a Maze and a Maraca for the very adorable photo of her Lizzie and I So Don't do Mysteries. Thank you, Kim!

Also, shouting out to Stephen Parrish for putting up the cover of I So Don't Do Mysteries on his sidebar. One click and you're at amazon.com for ordering. Thank you, Stephen!

A last shout-out to Becky Levine who ordered I So Don't Do Mysteries with her holiday money and posted a pic. Thank you, Becky!

And, just in case you haven't OD'ed on the book, here's a online interview: Scott William Carter's The First Book blog. Incidentally, this is the last book interview Scott is doing.

Thinking of you and yours, Travis Erwin. You know we're here for you. xo

30 comments:

  1. Barrie, I'm relieved all you did was take photos. Did you take someone with you when you took the photos? I don't want to hear later that someone accused you of doing something you didn't.

    Poor Travis, such a terrible thing for the first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Barbara, I did have another adult with me. Although, it was by sheer luck! And, poor Travis. It is a horrible way to start 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your car troubles. My husband backed into our friend's Jaguar (parked in our driveway) the other night. Sigh. But at least he admitted fault! It is always awful to be embroiled in a legal tussle with someone who doesn't play fair.

    Poor, poor Travis. Thanks for the alert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did Sherry proud!!!! I anticipate a full court update...I am sure all will work out!

    Jumping over to Travis' site...that really sucks...but thank the Lord no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so bad for Travis and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are being proactive! This is what our former neighbours did, fought it...
    Hope all goes well!

    A bit of a shock for Travis. You're right, what a way to enter a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job on the photo shoot. Build a strong case and stick to the facts. OI!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sleuthy, super sleuthy even I never wouldve been brave enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was 17, I totally had someone try to rip me and the insurance company off.

    I skid on some ice in a parking lot, and hit a truck. There was a minor dent in the door. I left a note, and didn't hear from them until 3 months later, and the whole right side of the truck was bashed in! The dent was too high for my car, but my insurance agreed to give them like $500. People are mean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the note about Travis. I've seen him around the blogosphere, but hadn't visited him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you on being proactive. We had something similar happen to us: a woman broadsided us in a parking lot and totaled our car. She apologized at the site, said it was all her fault, then went home and changed her story. My husband and I went back to the shopping center and found an employee in the dry cleaner's who saw the whole thing. We won!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a house fire is terrible.

    And I'm glad you have a court date (but saddened that this is necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, at least, you have evidence of sorts and I'm sure the truth will come out in court...if not before.

    What a loss for Travis. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Travis. You were very brave to go take those pics. Good luck with the court case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are quite the Sherry Holmes, aren't you? :)

    Sorry to hear about your friend's house burning down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, my heart goes out to Travis and his family.
    Second - You ROCK!! I am so proud of you. I was a PI in San Diego for a year or so while in law school. I can't believe the nerve of some people.

    honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Re: the "car front." You're as brave as I am - I'll go just so far but won't cross the line. Except where my kids were/are concerned. Then there is no line...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a car nightmare. yeesh.

    Have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's scary. Please be careful but I admire your investigative abilities.

    I'm so sorry to hear the news about Travis and family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh - your accident story brought back a lot of bad memories for me. I too was hit by someone (who ran a stop sign). Five surgeries and 2 1/2 years later I'm trying to get my life back together. Although the guy initially admitted fault, he later tried to say I ran the stop sign. It was a NIGHTMARE! Hope your situation gets resolved more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're a lot braver than I would have been. I'd have been terrified to get out of my car! I think you're more like Sherry than you realize :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. good for you for investigating that car thing! hope the court case goes well.

    hope the holidays were holly and jolly. happy 2009! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice interview, Barrie! I hope 2009 brings good things to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you've had a full plate of stuff - book launch, messy car accident, xmas (and you were sick) ... wait -the book launch is a good thing - but still, all very high stress events. Your friend's house fire makes me grateful for my home - even if it is a mess.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm going to call you Inspector Gadget. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i see google ate my post grrrrr

    anyway, hope you win your car case

    tragedy what happened to travis :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. I was going to comment here, but then I read the other comments and I realized that I could only be redundant. I resolve to be cleverer or at least quicker on the draw next time!

    (Had same car experience last summer with college girl running red light and totaling our Passat. Also visited girl's house to see her dented car. She eventually recanted - or re-recanted? - and her insurance company paid up. Hope the same happens for you. There's no price tag on the worry and shaking in the meantime, though, and nobody ever pays you back for that!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our pleasure. Winnie has been looking forward to your book for months. She saw the cover once when I was reading your blog. She is facinated that mom read's the blog of someone who writes books for someone like her (she likes to think older than her 9 years). So I thank you for making me seem momentarily cool in my kid's eyes.

    Now, if you could just get me to stop singing in public -- she'd be your biggest fan :o).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!