Monday, March 1, 2010

My Town Monday: San Diego Zoo Trivia

Well, as you may have guessed, I did not hand in i so don't do famous as scheduled. This is why there wasn't a fancy dancy My Town Monday post waiting for you with your morning coffee.

However, the week doesn't feel quite right when I don't post a MTM. So, I thought I'd throw up a short post. And sometimes it's a nice break to stumble upon a short post. Hopefully, this is a win-win situation today.

And since I just renewed Child #4's zoo pass last week, the San Diego Zoo has been on my mind. In fact, as soon as this book gets turned in, Child #4 and I are going on a date either to the zoo or to SeaWorld. (Sad, sad turn of events at SeaWorld in Orlando, but that's another post for another time. I do wonder, though if our trainers here are still getting in the water with the killer whales?)



Here's a little San Diego Zoo trivia:

-The only albino koala ever born in captivity was born here. He was named Ghost Boy (Onya-Birri)
-Ranger Smith often threatened to send Yogi Bear here as punishment for bad behavior at Yellowstone National Park.
-Polar Bear Plunge (one of my favorite exhibits because the polar bear is my favorite animal) re-opens at the end of this month. I can't wait to see it!
-Turtles, tortoises and terrapins are cousins to my beloved veiled chameleons. Because they're all reptiles.

See. I told you. Short and sweet. I must admit, it does feel good to get this post up. Goodbye. I'm off to work on i so don't do famous. Thank goodness for a very kind and understanding editor. I really am lucky.

Please check out the posts by the other My Town Monday participants by clicking here.



sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Zoo (the not always reliable wikipedia!! ;) )
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-turtle.html (this truly is a reliable site)

14 comments:

  1. Fun trivia.

    Good luck on finishing! *revising cookies*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the San Diego Zoo. Good luck on the book revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on what I hope is the homestretch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A polar beer exhibit does sound awesome. I always like to see monkeys.

    Good luck with the book and the chameleon eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED the San Diego Zoo the one time I've been there. I hope to get to go back some day, but it's a little bit more than a day trip from NC. Good luck finishing up the edits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the San Diego Zoo once . . . when I was eight

    I'm sure you'll get your book in soon . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved visiting the San Diego Zoo--I've been twice. And I did not remember that about Yogi...

    I have an award for you on my blog (if you have time to claim it). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your deadline. Ghost Boy seems destined to appear in your series. Good luck finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to the New Orleans zoo in a long time. It's high time I returned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barrie,

    I don't know for certain if anyone ever saw it at the SDZ, but I sent them a poem about Reggie the Gator who was loose at a nearby park a couple of years ago. (He ended up at the San Diego Zoo.)

    The Orca-incident was horrific!

    Kat

    (Following you on Networked Blogs now.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know ANY of those things! Except about Yogi Bear.
    Good luck on your MS deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of fun childhood memories of San Diego zoo - haven't been there in years - but hard for other zoos to live up to it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with finishing that pesky book!

    Just last night I was discussing turtles/tortoises with a nice English man. He thought, for some reason, that Americans didn't know there was a difference. Hrrmph!

    The shiny new blog is cute AND professional-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy listening to the animals at the zoo.
    We always go to the DC zoo several times during the summer, it is free and my son loves it.

    Good luck on your book

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!