Monday, April 5, 2010

My Town Monday: OnStage Playhouse, Chula Vista

A shot of downtown Chula Vista, taken with my Blackberry, from the car. Photo credit: Child #3

Yesterday afternoon, Child #3, Child #4 and I headed about 20 miles southwest to Chula Vista (means "Beautiful View" in Spanish), a city of about 230,000 located seven miles from downtown San Diego and seven miles from the Mexican border.



Our destination: OnStage Playhouse to see Into the Woods.

The OnStage Playhouse is a non-profit community theatre that's been around for about 30 years, although not always at this location. They usually produce six plays/musicals per year. This is the third play I've seen here. I also saw Cabaret and A Taffeta Christmas. All three were UBEREXCELLENT. Into the Woods runs until May 1. If you live in the vicinity and are looking for some great entertainment, I'd highly recommend it.



See this guy? It's our very own Mr. Cameron Williams. You might remember him from a couple of years ago when he guest-blogged here. He posted a My Town Monday about the Star of India. Also, he's a fifth-grade teacher extraordinaire at Child #3 and Child#4's school with an award-winning class website.

And Mr. Williams has a huge part in Into the Woods. He can sing and act like there's no tomorrow. The entire cast is very talented.

This jar of beans sits in the lobby. Whoever comes closest to guessing the number of beans wins two free tickets to the next show, To Kill a Mockingbird. I'd really like to see this show. So, if you do make it to Into the Woods, please don't enter a guess.

And guess what scary thing happened right after we'd all returned to our seats following intermission? Earthquake!!! Yes, it registered 7.2 with an epicenter in Mexicali, Mexico (roughly 130 miles southeast of the theatre). The tremor lasted about 45 seconds. This is a very long time, the longest quake I've ever felt. We all trudged outside to the sidewalk to wait for aftershocks. I called home. Mr. Summy reported that the water was sloshing around in our pool and some almost sloshed over the edge. Ack.

Please check out the posts by the other My Town Monday participants by clicking here. If you have a MTM post, leave a comment on the My Town Monday blog, and a link to you will be added. Actually, you can even leave a comment at the bottom of this post, and I'll hop over and link to you from the MTM blog.




sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chula_Vista,_California
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978151544
http://onstageplayhouse.org/location.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStage_Playhouse

17 comments:

  1. As the world undergoes more and more climatic change and upheaval, I’m liking my location even better.
    Glad to hear no damage to your home – or family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home town theatre is great. I was even in a local production once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you're okay, Barrie. When I went online yesterday and saw how close the earthquake was to the border, I thought of you down in SD. Then, as I started reading this post, I thought: "I bet they were even closer to the earthquake's epicenter. Hope they are all right."

    The show sounds fun, and that teacher is dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acting is a skill I can admire since I have not ability in that direction whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Musicals are great fun; earthquakes not so much.

    Glad you and your family are all right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Link to website for 5th grade teacher is broken, just to letcha know.

    Sounds cool! I will definitely go visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary! I'm glad you all are okay and that the pool still has water. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved to tornado land from the West Coast a few years ago- and honestly, the tornados scare me more- probably becuase I grew up with the whole earthquake thing ... doesn't really make sense though cause you generally get warnings for tornados- HUGE LOUD sirens on every flippin street here. And I am sooo following you now- hope you can stop by my place when you find the time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good time regardless of the earthquake. I hope to get back on the MTM wagon next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're not too shook up. I have resolved to expose my clan to more local theater. Huzzah for you for doing what I hope to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Earthquake? I'll have to go look up the news - I've been out all day - phoneless and Internet-less! Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cassandra, thanks! I fixed the link to Mr. Williams' class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a relief that the earthquake only sloshed your pool and nothing worse - scary! That's wonderful that you have good local theater and a multi-talented teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great to hear about a theatre company that is still going strong after 30 years!

    I can't even imagine what it must feel like to see pool water slosh around like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article. Thanks for sharing this amazing piece of information.
    small windows for playhouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great information. Thank you for sharing this.
    playhouse windows

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!