Monday, April 12, 2010

My Town Monday: What's Cooking in My San Diego Kitchen?

Herein follows a mostly pictorial My Town Monday post.

It all started with a sale. A pound of Southern California strawberries was selling for $ .97!


Child #4 squished up about 7 pounds of strawberries. Why was she squishing them up with a potato masher? Because our food processor is broken! By the way, this was not child labor. This was Fun with a capital F!


Cooking the mixture of squished stawberries, 7 cups of sugar (!) and pectin.


Filling the jam jars. Messily.



Then we boiled the filled jars in order to seal the lids. I have no idea why the water looks so murky and scary in this photo. It was totally clear and fine. Seriously.



Some of the finished product. As they cooled, the lids made a popping sound.

Please check out the posts by the other My Town Monday participants by clicking here. If you have a MTM post, leave a comment on the My Town Monday blog, and a link to you will be added. Actually, you can even leave a comment at the bottom of this post, and I'll hop over and link to you from the MTM blog.


11 comments:

  1. My mother, sisters and I do an annual chili sauce creation. I think we should add strawberry jam to the tradition - much sweeter and looks less time-consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I do not have a food processor or a potato masher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never canned anything. Congratulations on a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like to spread that on some nice warm bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a month and a half too early here for strawberries, but you are doing exactly what I'll be doing then! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I lived in your town this Monday!!! That jam would have been great on my pancakes yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 97 cents? they cost at least 4 bucks around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Believe it or not, we had the same sale here in South Texas last week--$0.97!! Sadly, we did not make jam. That is one gigantic pot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so, how was the taste? here, nearly everything tastes like sawdust :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a jar of that yumminess!! We've been gorging on strawberries this week. Makes me glad to be living in a place where we can enjoy them practically straight from the field :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!