Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The tragedy in Japan

I've been watching the news a lot and listening to it on the radio when I'm driving. I have satellite radio in the car, so I hear versions of the tragedy in Japan from various perspectives (BBC--British, CBC--Canadian, several stations--American).

It doesn't really matter who's broadcasting the details. Something really, really horrible happened in Japan.

Every time I go to blog about it, though, I can't seem to capture the horror of it in a post.

Not mentioning the tragedy doesn't seem right. I'm starting to feel a little like Emily Dickinson (minus the incredible poetry talent) who lived through the Civil War, but didn't address it in her poems.

The Happy Nappy Bookseller alerted me to this government website, which gives out legit addresses of where to send aid.

Now, go do something special today, either for yourself or a friend or a significant other or a child. Because we truly don't know what's around the corner.

Enjoy your day!

6 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling this week, Barrie. I had to address it in some small way because I have two very good friends located near Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tsunami makes any other natural disaster seem like child's play--I feel lucky having only tornados, blizzards and occasional floods here. The wreckage there is unfathomable. And now the nuclear fears. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Barrie. The CSU Chancellor ordered all exchange students from all 23 campuses of the university home from Japan. Unfortunately, the Japanese people can't leave. Several groups on our campus are doing fundraisers to raise donations for the Japanese Red Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tossed a coin and sent money to SAVE THE CHILDREN and then wondered if that was the best place to send it. We have a student whose entire family is in that area but the website he gave me didn't work. He is frantic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!