Sunday, October 21, 2007

copyedits

My copyedits are bruise-colored: the copyeditor's marks are in purple; Editor Wendy's are in gray; mine are in green; and there are a gazillion yellow post-it notes.

Each sticky post-it note is labeled "au" ( for author, that's me!) with the page number. Each sticky note contains a question from the copyeditor. For example, I actually gave a character three different last names. I have to choose one and be consistent. Imagine.

I have many sticky notes. Like probably over a hundred. Because I've never done this before, I have no idea whether this is more than usual. But it does add up to a lot of decision making. A lot of agonizing. Especially for someone who has trouble deciding on a restaurant.

Oh yeah, the last name I chose: Perkins. No, no, no. Philips. Or was it Phillips?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh..too funny!! I hope one of the characters isn't Philip Perkins or Perkins Phillips (he sounds very la-de-dah!!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny. Humbling too. When I think of how many times I read the book....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!