Thursday, June 26, 2008

Call for 4th of July Side Dishes

We have been invited to a Fourth of July party. By a family who lives on top of a very big hill. From which vantage point, you can see three different fireworks displays. Also, there's a pool and a hot tub. And a margarita maker the size of my vacuum cleaner. Several other nice families have been invited. So, no question about it, we're going.

We have to bring a side dish.

And I feel like trying something new.

It occurred to me that probably lots of us make side dishes. And lots of us will be going to Fourth of July parties. And we could all share our recipes.


So....how about next Wednesday, July 2, you post a side dish or salad or dessert recipe. Leave me a comment once your recipe post is up or email me ahead of time at barrie.summy@gmail.com and I'll put a link to it in my main post. Sound fun and yummy? We will so be the hits of our various parties!

And now about yesterday's lunch with my new friend. It was DELIGHTFUL. I had blackened salmon on a plate of greens and strawberries, drizzled with French dressing. We chatted and chatted for two hours. Which, you might have already guessed, isn't all that long for me. But we both had errands to run and kids to pick up. We had such a good time and found out that we have tons in common, including spouses. Yes, we each have one. And we just might invite them along next time.

16 comments:

  1. Great idea!! You can bet I'll be making the rounds that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea....I will have to come up with something good! Canada Day is Tuesday, so, I will not beable to use any of the yummy suggestions - but I am having a big party for my hubby's birthday on July 5th --- YIPPEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great party. I'm not much of a cook, so I'll bow out of the recipe thing, but I might have to look some up here and improve my offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I love new recipes. Can't wait for the 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be fun! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, we will have to be more organized next year so that we're ready for both holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hum, I won't be much help. I only cook meats, corn, potatoes and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi barrie!! i was reading your post and contemplating what recipe when your request came in!! :) i will gladly post one, i have the perfect incredibly delicious recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. instant mashed potatoes probably don't count, do they? :)

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Virginia, they might count for Charles Gramlich. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in!--I'm actually trying a new coleslaw recipe out tonight, so if it's good, I'll share that one.

    Your party sounds fun, and three fireworks displays sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sitting here eating crackers reading about your blackened salmon on a bed of greens with strawberries and French dressing, Barrie. When do you want to meet for lunch? K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barrie,
    I am new to your site, but I will try to remember to post a recipe on my site too. I love your idea. And great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will post a salad for sure. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!