Wednesday, June 25, 2008

friendship for moms

I don't know about the rest of you mothers, but I usually end up becoming friends with other mothers I meet through my kids. And because I have four kids who are involved in a variety of activities (swim, water polo, dance, Brownies, and more), I meet a lot of mothers. We're thrown together over and over. And through all this proximity and that fact that they're nice people and we have kid stuff in common, friendships are forged.

Making friends this way works out pretty well.

But, in a different life, a life where I was roaming free and meeting people through my own activities, the friendship thing would unfold in other ways.

Well, about a year ago, I met a woman. In the interests of honesty, I have to admit I met her through Child #2 and his sports. However, our paths didn't cross over and over. We saw each other from time to time when our teams played at the same pool, for example.

About six months ago, we were in the bleachers at an out-of-town pool and sat together. At some point, we realized that if we lived closer and were a little less busy, we'd be great friends. And, we decided, then and there, that we would meet up this summer.

Guess what?

TODAY WE'RE GOING TO LUNCH TOGETHER!

Just the two of us. No kids. No spouses. No teams. I can't wait.

23 comments:

  1. Here's hoping y'all have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the makings of a good time. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful time.
    I met my best friend via the mom/kids route.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! Have a fabulous time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still finding "making a new friend" (not the superficial bit, but when you break through that to something deeper) to be one of the very best things in life.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope yo had a great time. Cannot wait to hear all about it. How wonderful and refreshing it is to find new friends! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha, isn't it amazing to meet an adult you like for just the way they are? Enjoy, Barrie, you've earned this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you about the lunch and the budding new friendship!

    I also have met a lot of my current friends through my kids. One of my dearest friends is one I have only known for about 3 years and I met her through my twins and I love her to death - I'm so lucky to have found her!

    Take care and I hope you had fun - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are doing this! I think it is the start of a really great friendship. How fun and how well deserved. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great to have friends whom you can just be with and not have wild ones running about to talk about
    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have a great time! I think the older you get the more important female friendships become...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making freinds is wonderful - have a great lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I'd pop over here and see who you were. lol..

    You made me smile, I hope your lunch goes well, or went well, considering the time difference.

    Fingers crossed.
    Oh, btw, I think it is wonderful you can share this with others.

    All the best,
    Suz :) from Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope it's everything you wish it to be. And the beginning of a great friendship :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I hope you have a GREAT time. I have very few friends. I just don't trust people. Isn't that sad? And I honestly believe ....

    well, not gonna go there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like such a gift! I've met some wonderful people through my daughter's homeschooling... parents of other children with many of the same interests as mine. I've yet to have a 'playdate' of my own - lunch without children or deadlines - but I can guess how excited you must be about yours. ENJOY!!!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I look forward to when my son is older so that I can get out more and meet people!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i hit a point in my life (prior to my daughter 2 years ago), where i wondered when and how i would ever meet new people again...working from home, feeling almost semi-reclusive, really prohibits meeting new people...but now with my daughter experiencing her own new friendships from the gym, and other places i visit, i've met women who prior to being a mother probably felt they had nothing in common with me...it's been wonderful...i'm thrilled you've met a new friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it when I get along well with the my kids' friends' mothers!. I hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, sounds fun. I hope I continue to make friends like this too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!